So you’re getting ready for a day at the beach and you have everything: sunscreen, bikini, and a towel. But what about your hair? Making an impression is necessary no matter where you are, and the beach is no exception. Prepare to turn heads with these revamped beach hairstyles!
If you’re a fan of the French braid, try a braided crown.
Photo Courtesy of The Chic Site
Everyone loves a French braid, but there’s always a time to try new things. This style takes a little bit of effort, but once you master it, there’s literally no stopping you. Braid your hair into a crown around your head like the queen you are and look fabulous while keeping your hair away from the water. If you’re used to the simple topknot, try a chic bun.
Photo Courtesy of Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images Entertainment
We totally understand the appeal of the topknot; it’s simple, quick, and an old favorite. However, don’t you want to switch things up with something sleeker? Slicking back your hair into a chic looking bun is sure to add a certain polish to your beach persona. Spend a little extra time in the mirror before you hit the beach and your confidence will thank you. If you’re used to the messy bun, try the braided bun.
Photo Courtesy of Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
With a few simple adjustments, you can achieve the polished look even at the beach. Instead of just piling your hair on the top of your head haphazardly, putting your hair in a neat braid first makes a world of difference. Add in a statement headband and you’re ready to go! If you’re a fan of the ponytail, try a bubble pony.
Photo Courtesy of Patternity
This style is for the bold and the beautiful. Instead of doing the played out ponytail, try something exciting and new with the bubble pony. Seen a lot on the runway, this style is easy to do, but leaves a big impression. Simply put your hair into a sleek ponytail (low or high, your choice) and section off with ponytail holders every inch or so. The result is a slick, fierce style that’s impossible for others to ignore.
Read more Beauty posts on ClicheMag.com
Revamped Beach Hairstyles: Featured image courtesy of Nicole Miller
As the beautiful weather begins, we’re ecstatic to break out some of the best braided hairstyles for spring. Nothing compliments an outfit more than a gorgeous braided hairdo. Three of our favorites come from one of the coolest Hair Gurus named Amber Fillerup Clark, who’s also known as Barefoot Blonde. Aside from her raw and honest talent, Clark has a sweet nature and genuine spirit that instantly draws you in. Needless to say, she’s stealing our hearts one braided hairstyle at a time.
For a day when you don’t want your hair up or down, the Twisted Fishtail is an impeccable medium. Though it appears simplistic upon first glance, you’ll find others turning their heads at this unsuspecting style.
Another option is the Double Fishtail Braid. It’s a nice alternative to the messy bun, and it works especially well with second-day hair.
Double Fishtail Bun
Our last choice, the Twist and Pull Apart, is a seamless fit between the first two hairdos. This style is a playful way to elaborate upon the basic ponytail.
Twist and Pull Apart
All of these styles are great for keeping your hair away from your face or off your neck; however, you don’t have to sacrifice looking cute in the process. What I personally love about these three looks is that they appear intricate yet are easily attainable, which is something that Barefoot Blonde is conscious of in all of her creations. Lastly, Clark reminds us that “hair is the best accessory,” so let’s keep that in mind this spring. We should have just as much joy getting ready with our hair as we do with our outfits! For more of Barefoot Blonde, you can check out her Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook, where Clark shares pictures as well as step-by-step photo and video tutorials.
Read more Beauty articles on ClicheMag.com All Photo Credit including Featured Image to Amber Fillerup Clark (Barefoot Blonde)
Coachella is finally here, and for those who are spending their weekend dancing to Florence and the Machine and screaming their favorite Jack White lyrics in the hot California dessert, we’ve got three perfect Coachella hairstyles just for you, courtesy of CHI.
1. Create a center part. Take a 1” vertical section and mist CHI Style & Stay Spray prior to curling. 2. Curl section using the 1” CHI ARC, directing the hair back and away from the face and leaving out the ends for an undone wavy look. 3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until the entire head is curled. 4. Flip head over and break up the curls by combing your fingers through the hair. 5. Finish the effortless look by misting the hair with CHI Shine Infusion for a lightweight polish.
We know that, oftentimes, up-dos require a bit of mastering and maneuvering — 9 times out of 10, they aren’t for amateurs like myself. But this sophisticated up-do by Latest-Hairstyles.com’s contributor Roxie Jane Hunt isn’t as tough as it looks. With a few simple braids, a knot here and there, and a pin to lock it in place, this look is perfect for all those long-haired girls of the world who are looking for a new spring hairstyle. Hunt calls this look “The Perfect Knotted Fishtail Chignon.”
“The best part is that you can take this unique up-do from a cozy daytime style to haute evening look,” she explains. “All you need to get started are some clear hair ties, a few large hair pins, and a good texturizing braid spray.”
Below, Hunt walks us through their beautiful look!
Step 1: “Part the hair down the back and create two side-by-side fishtail braids. Secure the ends with clear elastics.”
Step 2: “Starting at the ends and working your way up, gently pull the braids apart a bit. This will add texture and fatten them up a bit.”
Step 3: “Now take your braids and tie them together once, and then again. If your braids are long enough, tie them a third time. Don’t tie them too tight however, as you will want to leave the ends free.”
Step 4: “Now take the whole knot in one hand and gently roll it into your head, tucking the ends inward towards your your scalp so that they are hidden.”
Step 5: “Now take a large hair pin and pin the bun into the head, beginning at the top. Make sure to get the teeth of the pin through a braid and into the base of the hair under the bun.”
Step 6: “Use another large pin to pin the bun into the head from either side, securing the braided knot into the head. Add as many pins as you need to until your fishtail chignon feels secure.”
Read more Beauty articles on ClicheMag.com BY MEGAN PORTORREAL The Perfect Knotted Fishtail Chignon Tutorial: Steps and photographs courtesy of Roxie Jane Hunt at Latest-Hairstyles.com
Braided pompadours and five-strand braids were all the rage at the Marrissa Web Spring/Summer 2015 fashion show in New York this week, and TRESemmé Hair Stylist Jeanie Syfu was there to help keep these fierce, edgy styles in check. Are you lusting over these gorgeous looks as much as we are? Then follow her step-by-step guide below to recreate these gritty, yet feminine styles on your own! WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Blow-dryer, round brush, tail comb, elastic, TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Hair Spray, TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Mousse *All Hair Extensions Provided By Beauty Works Online Braided Pompadour 1) Apply TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Mousse on damp hair and rough-dry ends for volume and texture. Finish blow-dry using a round brush to create fullness through the top of the head and the hairline.
2) Using the end of your comb, section off the center portion of the hair three-fourths of the way down and clip up.
3) Create a Dutch braid (in side out or reverse French braid) on both sides of the head using the loose hair, beginning at the temple and working your way to the nape of the neck. Braid the remaining lengths, leaving ends out, and fasten with a clear elastic.
4) Mist top section of hair with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Hair Spray and lightly brush along the part.
5) Begin French braid, leaving additional volume at the front and base. Gather hair along the part, working 90 degrees from the head, and finish braiding lengths of the hair leaving ends out. Fasten with clear elastic.
6) Gather all three braids and twist into a low bun, leaving ends loose.
7) Brush the completed French braid upward creating a wind blown effect and spray with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Hair Spray.
1) Prep damp hair with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Mousse and rough-dry the lengths with fingers for texture and lift. Finish blow-dry with a round brush at the hairline for a soft, airy perimeter of wisps.
2) Once hair is dry, create a deep side part on the right side of the head, then back-brush hair for extra volume and spray lightly with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Hair Spray.
3) Divide hair into five equal strands at the nape of the neck and begin weaving the farthest right section over and under each part, working your way to the left.
4) Take the furthest left section of hair and weave over and under each part, working your way to the right.
5) Repeat steps four and five until braid is complete, leaving ends loose and fasten with a clear elastic.
6) Loosen braid by gently pulling apart and leave airy wisps to frame the face. Mist finished look with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Hair Spray.
Be sure to follow TRESemmé on Instagram @TRESemme for behind-the-scenes looks during #NYFW!
BY MEGAN PORTORREAL TRESemmé at Marissa Webb Spring/Summer 2015: Photographs courtesy of Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for TRESemmé, hair style tutorials by Jeanie Syfu
There’s no use denying it—braids are in this spring. And I don’t mean your boring, three-stranded braid. No—there are dozens of ways to add your own personal twist (no pun intended) to braids by experimenting with different styles. So instead of browsing the chaos that is the Pinterest “braids” category (try it—you’ll be there for days), and spending a ton of money at the salon every time you want a braided crown, YouTube’s Beauty Vlogger Sasha Coefield (or “asksasha88” to her 170,000+ subscribers) has created easy step-by-step guides to different braided styles and put them all together in a single book: DIY Braids.
In the book, Coefield first introduces different ways to prep your hair before starting to braid. According to her, applying mousse or oil before you start braiding will to help keep your hair sleek and manageable. Coefield also recommends different styling tools to keep handy while styling, like a comb, hair elastics, bobby pins, and hair spray, to name to few.
When she feels she has covered the basics, Coefield dives right into introducing the reader to over 30 different styles. Each style is accompanied with a description of each, followed by numbered photographs detailing each step. Each style is also ranked on a scale of Easy, Intermediate, or Hard, depending on the difficulty level, so you know which styles are for beginners and which are more intricate. But don’t let these categories intimidate you! Coefield says, “The most important thing to remember is this: practice makes perfect. You shouldn’t get discouraged if your first braid doesn’t come out exactly like the picture.”
Our favorite styles featured in the book include the Bohemian Braid for beginners, the Four-Stranded Braid for average braiders, and the Braided Crown for experienced braiders. DIY Braids: From Crowns to Fishtails, Easy, Step-by-Step Hair Braiding Instructions is currently available for purchase on Amazon, so go get your braid on (and read ahead for our exclusive look on how to create a Bohemian Braid)!
Keeping our hair in check every day of the week and trying to make it look like we just stepped out of a Pantene commercial takes time and dedication. Often we prepare ourselves ahead of time by setting our alarm clocks an hour earlier than usual, but let’s be honest; none of us have all the time in the world. That precious extra hour can often be taken as that extra hour of beauty rest we need.
However, once we’re up and ready to take on our day with the ambition of a superwoman, we are left with little time and no idea how to style our hair. This is where braids come to the rescue! Braids are an easy way to add some detail to your locks if you leave them out or style them into an updo. They add that extra glamour, making it seem as effortless and chic as if you really did step out of a hair commercial.
Hairstyles used with braids are endless and can always be experimented with to create more styles. You can dress up or dress down a look with whichever one you choose to adorn.
Milkmaid braid updos are perfect for whether you’re going casual or slightly formal. They’re quick to perfect by parting your hair into two braids of your choice, and then wrapping them over your head like a crown. Voilà! You’ve created a gorgeous updo that will be sure to receive compliments all day.
Fishtail braids are another favorite in the braiding world because it adjusts to any way you want your hair styled. You can put it into a chunky side braid where the fishtail is messed up a little, or you can go with the classic style, beautifully showing off the colors and texture of your hair.
The most simple to-do braids out of the bunch have to be French braids and the old school triple-locks braid. These two are simple enough to create an actual headband out of your hair. The braids will show no matter which one you pick and provide a textured touch to an everyday look.
Are you tired of the same dull hairdo? Then why not throw some braids into the mix. Small braids, big braids and side braids can help you add some funk to your style. The smallest details of your ‘do can make the biggest difference.
Photo courtesy of ushairstules.com
A side braid is very classic, simple and flirty. It does not take a lot of time to pull off this look. All you have to do is place tussled hair to the side and start a low braid. Naturally any loose hairs will drape down by the side of you face for a flirty look. I feel that if you spend more time on the side braid, making it tight and neat and add a few accessories, you can switch that flirty look to a classic one and you’ll be ready for any formal gathering.
2. The crown
The crown braid gives the typical straightened hair look more of a flair. This is an easy ‘do to pull off. Once your hair has been straightened and parted, grab as much from each parted side (the more hair the thicker the braid). Make sure both braids start at the same level so you don’t wind up with a crooked crown. After both braids are done pull them back as you would a ponytail and tie them together at the ends.
Photo courtesy of joyus.com
3. Sleek Ponytail
For this look you will need to buy (or if you have one that’s great) a braid band or scrunchy. Make sure your hair is pulled back into a sleek ponytail with a thin scrunchy, preferably one near your hair color. Then grab the braid scrunchy (make sure that matches your hair color as well) and wrap it around the original scrunchy, making sure it is hidden.
It doesn’t take that much time to spice up a dull look. But no matter which ‘do you decide to try out, it will look great.
It’s that time of year again, when the sound of alarm clocks replaces that of crashing beach waves, and homework threatens to trump hanging out with friends. Each September, reality sets back in again, and we all fall into crazy routines that will never measure up to the frivolities and pleasures of summer time. This autumn, look out for your style; the temperature may drop, but that doesn’t mean it too should fall short.
I know exactly what you’re thinking right now: you have no time to get ready in the mornings. You’d rather spend those few precious extra minutes in bed. Well, I’m here to tell you that there’s a way to have it all. Aim for an A+ in style this semester. Mark these beauty tips on your cheat sheet and you’ll be sure to turn some heads by the time grades are posted.
When it comes to makeup, the key is keeping it simple. Say goodbye to the rigorous routines and heavy products and hello to the simple and easy-to use. There’s no need to cover everything up. This semester, use products like these that will highlight your features and give you all day coverage and comfort.
Photo courtesy of Maybelline
1. For daily use, forget those thick liquid foundations. Instead, choose a powder such as one from the Bare Minerals Broad Spectrum line. You’ll find that powders are easier to match to your unique skin tone, and they absorb natural oils more efficiently. Not to mention, they can be applied and blended in a matter of seconds.
2. Forget traditional eye shadows. This year, try out eye creams and gel shadows. These products can be applied with a brush or just the tip of your finger. They’ll do all the same things powder shadows do, but without the mess or the hassle. Gel shadows stay on right where you place them all day long. You won’t have to worry about spreading glitter all over your face or dealing with shiny and faded eyes by the end of the night. These products will give you a flawless finish in any shade and I assure you, you will not be disappointed.
3. There is nothing wrong with a vibrant lip shade, but let’s face it, 8am college algebra doesn’t exactly scream sexy red lips. Go for a neutral shade with a touch of sparkle and a hint of shine for a more natural and understated look that will not need to be touched up all day long. Products from the Baby Lips line from Maybelline will even moisturize your lips as they shine. How’s that for saving time? HAIR
When it comes to the perfect back-to-school hairdos, there’s no need to fret. Curling and straightening irons can do wonders, but embracing your natural locks will save you time and keep your hair shiny and healthy all semester long.
4. On those days when you simply have to run, you’ll find that fabric headbands are the perfect solution to any hair dilemma. Find patterned and embellished ones that will add a sassy pop of color and flair to any outfit. Use them to pull back bangs, flaunt loose straight hair or natural waves, or wear them with a messy bun. Either way, these headbands will give you a put-together look that will have everyone thinking took you all morning to perfect.
5. For those in-between days when blow drying and scrunching just won’t cut it, why not rock a braid? Braids provide fun and versatile ways to change up your look. Choose a simple hairline design to keep your locks away from your face in the lab or playful hipster hidden braids for study group. The fun doesn’t stop here! Pick up all of your hair in French or fishtail braid for those late night runs to the gym.
6. For a more sophisticated look, ballerina buns are surely your best bet. Cut and roll up one of your mix-matched socks and form your ponytail around it for a full and crisp look that is sure to demand authority and attention.
September means a return to mundane reality, but remember, style doesn’t need to suffer too. With this as your guide you’ll be on your way to all things studious and fabulous!